The Hannahville Indian Reservation is a
Potawatomi Reservation and according to records the current location was
found in 1884 under the direction of Methodist Missionary, Peter Marksman.
Little information is available through the Missionary records as the
presiding elders or missionary failed to keep detailed records of the
The original settlement is thought to
have been along the mouth of the Big Cedar River, on Lake Michigan.
The people of Hannahville are
descendents of those who refused to leave Michigan
in 1834 during the great Indian Removal. They lived with the Menominee in
Northern Wisconsin, and the Ojibway and Ottawa people in Canada. In 1853
some these people began returning to Michigan. It was at this time they
settled along the Big Cedar River.
Church records report that Marksman was
sent to the area as an assistant, rather than the presiding Missionary.
During this time he has been credited with finding a parcel of land and
moving the Potawatomi people to the current location.
According to church records, the people were very fond of Marksman
wife, Hannah and named their community after her.
In 1913, Congress acknowledged the
Hannahville Potawatomi and purchased 3.400 acres of land in scattered
parcels and added another 39 acres in 1942. The people of Hannahville have
been federally recognized since 1936.
Hannahville Beginnings - Notes and articles found in local museums
History - by Tribal Member Earl Meshigaud, Jr.
Education in Hannahville
Electricity for Christmas